27.3.14

Dreaming about Scotland


For ages now I've been looking for an illustration or print with a Scottish theme. Nothing fancy (or kitsch), just a small memento of our time in Edinburgh. I can't believe that it's been nearly four years since we left. Every year when the seasons change I start reminiscing about our time there. We were so settled in Edinburgh: friends and family, jobs and even property. And then, in the space of just a couple of months, we left it all behind and headed back to South Africa. We must have been mad! No jobs, no permanent place to live and we had a baby in tow. Most of the time I think we made the right move but if I'm honest I do have moments where I long to go back... I think I will always be torn between the two places but Cape Town is definitely home now. 

I've always loved the prints above but Mr Hello Olive isn't as keen on them (quite strange as we usually have very similar tastes). Then I stumbled onto Adrian Wesley Martin's paintings and there is was. The One. 


I've got so many photos of similar scenes which is why I love this print so much. I totally can picture myself in this very spot, and I love this style of painting. Can't wait for it to arrive! Hopefully one day we'll be able to buy one of his originals...   

Image credits: top Edinburgh Towers   |   middle Voyages Over Edinburgh   |   bottom The Black Cuillins
SHARE:

24 comments:

  1. This bottom picture is definitely Scotland! I love it a lot. I sometimes think I would like to live elsewhere. We are in Glasgow, moved here from the US and Switzerland but I bet I would miss it terribly if we moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really miss Scotland and often dream about moving back. The weather did drive me mad though! x

      Delete
  2. oooh! gorgeous! i didn't know you'd live there? from there? i am going to edinburgh for the first time this summer! really, the trip is to shetland, but i'll have some time, a few days before and after the island to explore edinburgh. the more i look into it, the more excited i am, it looks like an AMAZING place. (i'll also be there during the fringe festival!)

    enjoy your new print! it's lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not from there Lori but we lived there for many years, and it will always be home to me. Enjoy your trip - you will love it! x

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful ... it is very similar to our lovely Irish landscape too ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I often see landscapes (usually on Top Gear!) and think that must be Scotland, and it turns out to be Ireland. x

      Delete
  4. Beautiful prints, I especially love the balloon one, it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my favourite before we discovered 'the One' :-) x

      Delete
  5. I love all three prints but I can see why you choose the bottom one .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss Scotland too and I'm only 200 miles away! Although I love Yorkshire, Scotland means home. All nice choices and I really like the one you've chosen. Just thought I'd add Kate McLelland's work in to the mix (if you don't already know it) https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/127005554/edinburgh-skyline-print?ref=shop_home_active_12 . I love her skylines of Glasgow and Edinburgh. And also Lovely Pigeons geometric take on the Fife coastline - http://www.lovelypigeon.com/shop/print x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, love the geometric Fife prints. I haven't seen them before - thanks for the tip :-) x

      Delete
  7. The colours are AMAZING in that painting. Love it! I didn't know you lived in Scotland. I would love to go there one day. And wow, we did that too, just upped and left Sydney with just 3 weeks notice and no jobs to go to and 4 kids in tow...crazy! Although we made the right decision I often look back at all the places we previously lived (10 moves!) and I feel a little bit nostalgic about all of them....Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you guys are definitely more spontaneous than we are :-) We lived in Scotland for a few years, and didn't think we'd ever leave but here we are! I will always feel a pang for it (especially when the weather turns cooler!) x

      Delete
  8. What amazing prints thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love them all! And Scotland... We were in Edinburgh only last week and never tire of it. In fact Scotland is where we'd like to live eventually.
    I hope the new print reminds you of home and you don't feel too wistful... joyous colours!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scotland is a great place to live! I hope you get to settle there someday. x

      Delete
  10. I like all of them but the third is my favourite - the colours! So lush and wild, just how I imagine Scotland to be. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exactly how Scotland is. He has interprated it so well. x

      Delete
  11. I love all of these but the last one especially! I've never been to Scotland but would love to go some day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love it - think of all the gorgeous pics you could take :-) x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read every single one of them :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig