30.6.14

Hello Olive on a blog hop



I am so excited to be a part of this Blog Hop. Thank you so much Gillian for asking me :-) If you haven't already discovered Tales From a Happy House, please go over and visit it. It's one of my absolute favourite blogs and Gillian is not only really lovely (I'd love to meet up with her for a coffee!) she is also a super talented and creative crafter. (I am currently coveting the blanket she is in the process of crocheting!)

So, here it is... my little contribution to the blog hop :-)

What am I working on?
I have more ideas floating around in my head than I am able to work on. Recently, when I gave one of my prints away as a gift, and sold two others, I realised I need business or thank you cards to include with the packaged prints. A little something to say hello and thanks, so as soon as I get a chance, I'd like to get some designed and printed.


My 'branding' (ha!) isn't very cohesive at the moment either. It's so hard designing for yourself - sometimes I think I'd like to get a friend to design my logo but it sort feels like cheating a bit. So getting a cohesive look together for Hello Olive is something else I need to focus on.


I'm a relatively new Etsy seller (I tried to give it a go a few years ago, fell pregnant just as I launched the shop and in a haze of tiredness and morning sickness, neglected it and only recently reopened it.) I've done lots of research this time, joined a few teams and discovered once you open the shop there is so much background work to do. When I'm not designing I'm trying to learn about tags, titles and SEO. All this in between nappy changes, school runs, Lego building, laundry, dishes... you get the picture. How I would LOVE one morning a week where I could work uninterrupted :-)


How does it differ from others of its genre?
Phew, this is tough one! I really don't know how to answer this question to be honest. Years ago, when I first decided I wanted to design prints, I brainstormed names for my 'business'. I wanted something that was friendly, warm, approachable... so that's how I chose the name, and I hope that's what people feel when they visit my blog, my shop or when they contact me.


Why do I create what I do?
Sometimes I find I'm so busy being a wife and a mother, that I lose myself in those roles. It's hard to find time for myself these days so my shop is basically a way of ensuring I get some me-time. And I've loved my little adventure so far. I started this blog as way to promote my designs and in the process I have met the loveliest people and learned so much.

How does my creating process work?
All my prints start out as rough sketches. I get inspired by all sorts of things - vintage patterns (like on these pillowcases below), my kids' toys (especially the vintage Fisher Price people - they are the inspiration for the personalised prints), a trip to the botanical gardens... anything really - inspiration usually strikes at the strangest times! I try not to hop on the computer without some sort of concrete idea of what I want or I end up faffing about for ages. Sometimes an idea comes together quickly and easily. Most designs take a while though - I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I revisit designs several times before I decide it's finally ready for my Etsy shop.


And that's it. I hope you have enjoyed my contribution to the blog hop. If you're a new reader, welcome, it's lovely to have you here. And if you're a regular visitor, thanks for coming back :-) Now it's time to introduce you to two other bloggers, two of my favourite favourites. If you haven't discovered either of these lovely ladies, you're in for a treat.  

Jen blogs at Little Birdie. Originally from Scotland Jen now lives in Yorkshire with her family. She has amazing taste, takes beautiful photos and always writes the most inspirational posts.

Bee blogs at The Linen Cloud, and lives in Northern Ireland with her family. Her posts are filled with stunning photos, adventures with her family and a rather enviable garden... Definitely not to be missed. 

Jen and Bee will posting their blog hop posts on Monday, the 7th July, so please pop over and say hi.



SHARE:

22 comments:

  1. This was a lovely read, Col. I really like your work and it was interesting to read more about your creative life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, I really enjoyed your post too. x

      Delete
  2. I loved this post! I am learning about Etsy too and you're right.. there's so many hidden things that you have to know about! haha. I totally get the whole "trying to find your style and stay cohesive" thing too.

    I do love "Hello Olive" as your name though and I do think it is approachable and happy :)

    Laura

    www.artandsoulcreativeco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Sometimes I find I am so busy with the Etsy 'background' stuff that I neglect my design work. We'll get there in the end :-) x

      Delete
  3. Lovely to have discovered your blog and to read all about your creative process too. Your designs are just gorgeous, and I agree, would it be fab to have even just one whole day a week on which it was compulsory to only do fun, creative stuff! I just read that Kirstenbosch is celebrating it's 101st birthday - how inspiring is that. Have a happy day, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we'll both get that day to muck about and and create and drink lots of tea without any interruptions :-)

      Yes, Kirstenbosch is 101. We go there all the time - it's such a great spot for the kids. x

      Delete
  4. It was fascinating to know more about how you work and what you create, especially the Etsy side of things. I am always impressed at how much you achieve with two small people to look after all day long! I think your style always comes across really strongly - it's friendly, colourful, fun and a bit retro all at the same time.

    And I'd so love to meet you for a coffee too. One day! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian! I find that if I watch less tv in the evenings I get a lot more done. Although it's far too easy to just relax in front of the telly with a cup of tea or (preferably) a glass of wine :-)

      Delete
  5. Hello, I am new to your blog, but it was great to read about you and how you work and what you do. I followed over from Gillian's blog, and I look forward to reading more from you now that I have found you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy :-) Just popped over to your blog to say hi to you there! x

      Delete
  6. yea for an Etsy shop... A lovely read to match how lovely you are :) Have a super day Col! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff! I'm now following you and would love a follow back :) Thank you!
    ZzzonkOwl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, your blog is sweet. Have followed you back. x

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJ. Lovely to have discovered your blog too. x

      Delete
  9. Love the Fisher Price people influence on your new work - it rocks! Thank you for passing the blog hop batton on to me. I'll try to do you proud! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will :-) Looking forward to your post. x

      Delete
  10. I love that third picture! It would make a really great header :) I love blog hops! x

    cranberrydeer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cory :-) It's one of the sketches that I'd like to develop into a logo. Love your blogger designs by the way! x

      Delete
  11. Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Sunshine Award here: http://littlepandacrafts.blogspot.com/2014/07/onigiri-pouchplannersunshine-awardhappy.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post Col, I really enjoyed this one :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I read every single one of them :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig